Convention on the Rights of the Child
October 1st The Sultanate joined the Convention on the Rights of the Child in December 9th, 1996 in pursuant with the Royal Decree No. 54/96 which entered into effect on January 8th, 1997. Also, the Sultanate joined the two optional protocols to the Convention on September 17th, 2004 in pursuant with the Royal Decree No. 41/2004. In this regard, a committee was formed to follow up the implementation of the Convention on the Rights of the Child in the Ministerial Decision No. 9/2001 based on the Royal Decree No. 54/96. The committee was reformed in accordance with the Ministerial Decision No. 56/2009 and the new Ministerial Decision No. (1207/2014) where it contained 24 members representing different governmental authorities, educational institutions and civil society institutions as well as representatives from the Disabled Children Care Associations and Association of Early Intervention for Children with Disability. It is worth mentioning that some of the Sultanate’s reservations on the Convention on the Rights of the Child were withdrawn according to the Royal Decree No. 86/2011.
Programs and Media Committee
- Programs and media committee.
- Reports and database committee.
- Law and Legislations implementation follow-up committee.
Responsibilities of the Committee:
- Follow up the implementation of Convention on the Rights of the Child
- Prepare national reports that mirror the reality of childhood in the Sultanate
- Spread awareness among all the groups of the society with regard to the contents of the Convention, make proposals to activate the principles of the Convention and participate in setting and implementing the childhood related programs
- Set mechanisms and programs required for all children comprehensive protection report
- Study the recommendations and remarks of the International Committee on the Rights of the Child (CRC) in coordination with the competent authorities
- Make proposals related to children-related cultural, educational and media programs as to contribute to their development and progress
- Study and analyze the Arab and international documents concerned with the rights of the child